Well Being Development (WBD) is an innovative nonprofit organization in the Ely, MN area. We are focused on our community members with mental health issues, chemical dependencies, and those experiencing isolation or challenges with housing, transportation, and food. Our mission is to promote mental health and well-being in the northeast Iron Range. Our values are demonstrated through the work we do to inspire, cultivate and deliver collaborative, community-driven services. Our vision is for all people to achieve their potential and to be respected as friends, family members and neighbors.
WBD has three community-oriented programs:
- The Northern Lights Clubhouse supports individuals challenged with mental and behavioral health through activities focused on developing relationships and learning. The Clubhouse provides a place of hope, dignity, and friendship.
- Pathways to Wellness is care facilitator program with a commitment to making a difference in the lives of those community members by connecting individuals and families to services in support of their health and wellness.
- Ely Behavioral Health Network (EBHN) is a collaboration of area nonprofits, mental, behavioral, and physical health providers, and public health agencies. The network seeks to expand access to quality behavioral health care in the region.
- New Program in 2023: Recovery Residence with Co-located recovery services. MOre to come as this exciting project ramps up in 2023. Critical funding received through the St. Louis County Opioid Remediation Settlement Funds.
Some of our activities include:
- Training in living skills as well as social and vocational rehabilitation services.
- Connecting individuals with services within the community that help with addressing needs for shelter, food, and care.
- Work to reduce in-patient hospitalization and emergency room treatment of such individuals.
- Educational and informational activities for our community to increase public awareness of mental health issues, chemical dependency, resources for the homeless and situations that cause the need for temporary shelter.
- Convening agencies and professionals in all areas of public service to work together to increase access to care in our area.
- Help organize and empower volunteers to carry out activities consistent with the mission of Well Being Development.